Thursday, March 8, 2012

Silk Flower pin

 I tried this flower in 100% silk, as did the author of  the tutorial I got this from.  She was correct in that it was a bit more tedious to singe the edges as it was more flammable. I did set a couple of petals ablaze, but not too bad.(good to have a bowl of water handy, just in case) Another thing about making silk petals is that they don't curl like the synthetic fabrics do, so you have to make small "pinch tucks" in each petal to give it some shape.  Then give it a slight bunch in the whole flower after you got it all together, and sew a pucker through all layers to draw it up and in.  The center I used a long strip about 1 inch wide and ran a gathering stitch down one side, gathered and "rolled" it onto itself and stitched each layer down to secure. (I used hot glue to adhere to middle of flower petals.  Add some velvet leaves and  and a pin backing and you have a really nice flower pin. (For more detailed tutorial see last post below, I have listed the url of this tutorial and another using bought silk flowers that you can re-make) Thanks for looking

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hi Debbie, You've done it again. Another beautiful job on another wonderful flower. I think you should open an ETSY shop and sell them.

I made another collage and hope to do a giveaway soon. Please take a look and let me know what you think.